Join the clean up for Earth Day, and do your part to keep Shuiquan Canyon clean and green.
No pizza—the Jiankou Great Wall is shut down for the One Belt One Road Forum, which means we can’t hit up the Gung Ho! Hut for pizza after the clean up. We’ll provide snacks and drinks instead, and we’ve rescheduled the Jiankou Clean Up and Pizza to Sunday, May 19.
Hike hill trails and valley paths to on the way to Shuiquan Canyon, a bouldery valley in the Longquanyu area. The route through the canyon takes us around and over several large pools as we walk below cliffs and over rickety bridges, hiking over and around boulders on the way to the end. The hike is of moderate difficulty, with some balance required to cross stepping stones.
Clean up plan
- Walk down a long road through villages to get to the trail that leads to the canyon.
- Hike hill trails through fields and then down into the canyon
- Hike up and out the canyon, keeping an eye out for things to pick up.
- Carry out all the bags we’ll fill with rubbish
- Reward yourself for the hard work with snacks and drinks after the hike, with us picking up the tab
As well as clearing trash out of the canyon, we’ll be setting an example for other hikers we see on the trail.
Trash we’ll be collecting
- Any plastic
- Any metal without sharp edges
- Cigarette butts
- Orange peels (Even though they come from fruit, these peels do not break down quickly!)
- Whatever you feel comfortable removing that was left by someone else
What to bring
- Sun protection: long-sleeved shirt, hat
- Raincoat or poncho, just in case
- Snacks to eat while you hike
- Hand sanitiser, tissues
- Comfortable, broken-in hiking boots
- (Click here to read our full What to Bring on a Hike list)
- Garbage bags
- Work gloves