- 360 RMB / 325 RMB members / 180 RMB for kids 5–12
- 8:30am departure from Lido Hotel Starbucks; Liangmaqiao subway area pickup at 8:00am. Back in Beijing around 4:30pm. (Find the meeting points)
- 2–3 hours start to finish over 4–6km.
- Snacks and drinks provided after the hike.
Kids club: relaxed outings for kids to enjoy some family time in nature. Best for ages 5–12. Younger children would need to be carried for most of the way on this.
Climb a valley trail to reach the Great Wall at Zhuangdaokou, stopping to explore the wall and surrounding area before an easy, mostly flat, walk over to the Walled Village.
08:30—Driving to the hike, stopping for a bathroom break
11:30—Break at the Great Wall, picnic lunch
12:30—Walk over to the Walled Village, explore the Walled Village, free time
14:00—Driving back, stopping for a bathroom break
16:00—Arrive at Lido, then on to Liangmaqiao
Things to do
While there aren't specially structured activities this time, there are some fun things to do.
Explore the Great Wall: Climb up to the first tower at Zhuangdaokou for great views. Best for older kids.
Explore around the Great Wall: find leaves, feathers, chestnuts and more; investigate trees and terraces.
Explore the Walled Village: walk the narrow lanes of the Walled Village to find courtyard dwellings; climb up on to the walls for views inside.
Other: this is a farming area, and we often see donkeys, cornfields, lettuce patches, and farmers working the chestnut orchards. We'll supply a worksheet we made for the Cub Scouts that includes things to do and look out for.
Please contact us if you'd like more details about the plan.
Safety and supervision: we choose hikes that are not dangerous, and we’ll warn you about any parts of the hike that require extra attention. You’re responsible for watching your children. We’ll let you know where’s good to play.
Vehicle: all participants must wear seatbelts while in the vehicle. Ask us about bringing your car seat, as certain seats might not fit.
Weather: if the weather doesn’t look like fun, we’ll cancel or postpone the hike.
Food: bring your own picnic lunch. We’ll supply some snacks and water for you.
What to bring on this hike
- Lunch and snacks to eat during the hike
- Warm clothes in case it gets chilly
- Good hiking boots
- Pencils and paper if you want to do some sketching
- (Click here to read our full What to Bring on a Hike list)
Reasons you might not like this hike
- It's not really a hike, and we're going to take it slow. If you're interested in a hike, please take a look at some of the other options we have.
- The Great Wall here is steep to begin with, and the first section has no ramparts between you and the edge of the wall. (But the wall is 3–4 metres wide, there's no way to fall off.)