By making a payment to Beijing Hikers you agree to the terms and conditions listed in this document.
Document last updated: 20 December 2018 (Bank account information moved to separate document)
If you require further clarification of anything in this document, please contact us.
The following information about cancellations is applicable to those hikes and trips that are pre-paid. For the trips and hikes where we collect the payment on the day, there's no cancellation fee if you give us enough warning.
Please make your payment on or before the published date to guarantee your participation and to qualify for any applicable discounts.
- If the trip is cancelled by Beijing Hikers we will refund your money in full, within five days of the cancellation notice.
- If you cancel your participation in the trip before the date of departure your money will be refunded less any costs already incurred by Beijing Hikers on your behalf—for example (but not limited to): purchase of flight or train tickets, and/or deposits on hotel reservations—and less a cancellation fee that is a percentage of the trip total.
- If you cancel your participation during the trip or do not show up for the departure no money will be refunded to you.
- The cancellation fee is calculated as a total of the full cost of the trip, depending on when we receive your notice of cancellation.
How is the cancellation fee calculated?
- If notice of cancellation is received less than two days before the date of departure, the cancellation fee is 20% of the full cost of the trip.
- If notice of cancellation is received between two and five days before the date of departure, the cancellation fee is 15% of the total cost.
- If notice of cancellation is received between more than five days but less than seven days in advance, the cancellation fee is 10% of the total cost.
- If notice of cancellation is received more than seven days before the date of departure there is no cancellation fee, but costs already incurred by Beijing Hikers on your behalf will be deducted.
Why do we charge cancellation fees?
We charge cancellation fees so you’re not affected if other people pull out of the trip at short notice. For example, if the trip requires eight people to go ahead, and the eighth person cancels, we will still be able to run the trip.
How the cancellation fee is calculated: an example
Mr. X has signed up and paid for a trip that costs 10,000 RMB. One day before the trip, he cancels his participation. Beijing Hikers has already purchased his flight tickets.
- A cancellation fee of 2,000 RMB is incurred. (20% of 10,000 RMB, the full cost.)
- The cost of the flight tickets was 1,000 RMB
- The total refund to Mr. X is 7,000 RMB, that is, 10,000 RMB, less the 2,000 RMB cancellation fee, less the 1,000 RMB cost of flight tickets.
Accommodation and single supplement
When staying in hotels and guesthouses, we have calculated the cost as based on you sharing a double room with another hiker. If we cannot find a hiker to share a room with you, we may ask you to pay an extra fee if other reasonable arrangements cannot be made. The extra fee will be calculated as half of the cost of the single supplement.
If you would like a room to yourself, single supplement is usually available and is calculated on a per-night basis and added to the total cost of your trip.
If you are unhappy with the person that we have arranged to share your room we will attempt to find a solution through mediation and discussion, with single supplement as a last resort.
Making your payment
The following payment methods are available:
- Cash payment in Chinese yuan (renminbi)
- Bank transfer from domestic or international accounts
- Mobile payment via WeChat
- Mobile payment via Alipay
- Paypal (service fee may apply)