- approx. 5 hours start to finish over 6km.
Bonus! We’ve teamed up with Gung Ho! Pizza to make our 9th annual Earth Day clean up hike part of the Beijing Earth Day Festival, and we hope we’ll get a big clean up crew this year for even better results!
Join the clean up and do your part to keep the Great Wall clean and green, and you’ll then enjoy free pizza and beer at the Gung Ho Hut at Jiankou courtesy of Gung Ho! Pizza.
The Jiankou Great Wall is found in the hills north of Beijing—a location that is popular with hikers and casual visitors because of the superb views of the Great Wall running up and down steep ridgelines
Unfortunately, both hikers and casual visitors are not always conscientious about cleaning up after themselves. The Great Wall on the west side of Jiankouhas been somewhat spoiled by the buildup of trash – plastic bottles, cans, tissues, noodle wrappers, and worse.
In the spirit of Earth Day we're going to head out and clean up as much as we can, with the following plan:
- Hike up to the wall, keeping an eye out for things to pick up
- Walk along the Great Wall, stopping to clean up where it's messy. Note: some sections steep and slippery.
- Carry out all the bags we'll fill with rubbish
- Reward yourself for the hard work with snacks and drinks after the hike, with us picking up the tab
As well as clearing trash off the Great Wall, we'll be setting an example for other hikers we see on the trail.
We're running this hike at cost, and with some sponsorship we estimate it will cost about 150-200 RMB per person. We'll confirm that before the day of the hike. That cost covers the transportation, entry tickets, water, garbage bags and gloves, and a local guide who'll be with us as a local representative.
Trash we’ll be collecting
- Any plastic
- Any metal without sharp edges
- Cigarette butts
- Orange peels (Even though they come from fruit, these peels do not break down quickly!)
- Whatever you feel comfortable removing that was left by someone else
What to bring
- Warm clothes, just in case
- Food to eat while hiking – Beijing Hikers will NOT be providing any on this hike besides water!
- Comfortable, broken-in hiking boots
- (Click here to read our full What to Bring on a Hike list)
- Garbage bags
- Plastic gloves