- 290 RMB per person (Price is the same for BJH members)
- 8:30am departure from Lido Hotel Starbucks; Liangmaqiao subway area pickup at 8:00am. Back in Beijing around 6pm. (Find the meeting points)
- approx. 4 hours start to finish over 6km.
- Pizza, beer, snacks, and drinks provided after the cleanup.
Join the clean up and do your part to keep the Great Wall clean and green.
(New date: we'd originally planned this clean up for April 20, but the Jiankou Great Wall was shut down.)
The Jiankou Great Wall is found in the hills north of Beijing—a location that is popular with hikers and casual visitors because of the superb views of the Great Wall running up and down steep ridgelines
Unfortunately, both hikers and casual visitors are not always conscientious about cleaning up after themselves. The Great Wall on the west side of Jiankou has been somewhat spoiled by the buildup of trash – plastic bottles, cans, tissues, noodle wrappers, and worse.
Join the clean up and do your part to keep the Great Wall clean and green, and you’ll then enjoy the reward of pizza and beer at the Gung Ho! Hut at Jiankou, courtesy of Gung Ho! Pizza.
We'll be collecting payment in advance for this hike using Wechat or Alipay. We'll supply payment information after you make the reservation. (If you can't do Wechat or Alipay payments please make a note with your booking and we'll figure it out.)
Clean up plan
Depart from Beijing by private bus. Liangmaqiao subway departure at 8:00am, then Lido Metropark Hotel Starbucks departure at 8:30am.
Hike up to the Great Wall, keeping an eye out for things to pick up. Note: some sections steep and slippery. As we hike along the trails and meet fellow adventurers, it will be an opportunity to raise awareness and set a good example.
Make our way to the Gung Ho! Hut where we will weigh and log data about the waste collected.
Kick back at the Hut and pat ourselves on the back with wood-fired Gung Ho! pizzas, fresh salads and light refreshments! (included in the participation fee.) We'll bring a box of beers; and other alcoholic beverages such as beer might be available for purchase for minimal charge.
Start driving back to Beijing at about 4pm.
About Gung Ho!
Gung Ho! is proud to be China’s first and only food group with the B Corp certification. It aims to use food as a vehicle to positively influence its community and minimise its impact on the environment
Founded in 1973, Patagonia is a top-notch outdoor apparel company based in Ventura, California. The mission of Patagonia is to build the best product, cause no unnecessary harm, use business to inspire and implement solutions to the environmental crisis.
Trash we’ll be collecting
- Any plastic
- Any metal without sharp edges
- Cigarette butts
- Orange peels (Even though they come from fruit, these peels do not break down quickly!)
- Whatever you feel comfortable removing that was left by someone else
What to bring
- Sun protection: long-sleeved shirt, hat
- Raincoat or poncho, just in case
- Snacks to eat while you hike
- Hand sanitiser, tissues
- Comfortable, broken-in hiking boots
- (Click here to read our full What to Bring on a Hike list)
- Garbage bags
- Work gloves