- 420 RMB (380 RMB for members)
- 8:00am departure from Lido Hotel Starbucks; Liangmaqiao subway area pickup at 7:30am. Back in Beijing around 5:30pm. (Find the meeting points)
- 3–4 hours start to finish over 7.5km.
- Includes a meal after the hike.
Note: tough climb at the start of the hike. While rated a 3+, this hike is sort of a tough 3+ because of the long climb at the beginning. We go up about 500m over 2km of trail, which is a climb worthy of a Level 4 hike.
On this hike we will visit a section of the Great Wall that was completed around 1580 A.D., during the reign of the Ming Dynasty Emperor Wan Li.
The hike begins with a warmup walk up a valley road, followed by a fairly tough climb up a hillside path to reach the Great Wall. This climb is steep in a few places, and it will take us 50-60 minutes. This is the most difficult part of the hike: approximately 2km, with a change in elevation of approximately 500m.
After reaching the top we’ll follow the Great Wall as it winds along and up a ridge. Because the Great Wall was designed as a defensive fortification we will get excellent views, with mountains, villages, and other stretches of the Great Wall all in sight as we walk. We will pass through towers along the way, and stop for a snack break at the highest point.
Our walk on the Wall will finish at a big tower – from there we’ll follow a trail down another valley, finally arriving at the small village where we’ll finish the walk.
On a clear day we’ll have great views of the Great Wall to the northeast and west as we walk.
Weather note: if rain or thunder is forecast we might not be able to hike. We have another Great Wall hike the next day, just in case.
What to bring on this hike
- Snacks to eat during the hike
- Sun protection: long-sleeved shirt, hat
- A bottle of sports drink with salt content (Gatorade, Pocari Sweat)
- Good hiking boots
- (Click here to read our full What to Bring on a Hike list)
Reasons you might not enjoy this hike
- The climb up to the wall is a long one – no problem if you’re into exercise!