- 450 RMB (405 RMB for members, 200 RMB for under 12’s)
- 8:00am departure from Lido Hotel Starbucks; Liangmaqiao subway area pickup at 7:30am. Back in Beijing around 5:30pm. (Find the meeting points)
- 3–4 hours start to finish over 6–8km.
- Includes a meal after the hike.
Second departure: the hike is fully booked but we’re looking at adding a second departure on the same day. Interested? Sign up on the standby list and we’ll definitely get you out to the Great Wall for this hike.
On this hike we’ll walk a picturesque section of wall that offers great views without too much hard work. As we follow the wall, we’ll pass through restored and unrestored sections, as well as taking a scenic detour through pines on a hillside trail.
We’ll start the walk with a short climb up to a dirt trail to reach the wall. Once we’re up, we’ll be able to see the roofs of a small town; past those, the old highway to Chengde; and even further, a stretch of Great Wall climbing a steep ridge.
Continuing along the wall, we’ll pass through a lot of towers – some in good condition, some tumbled down to foundations only. Excluding one detour, we’ll be able to walk on the wall just about all the way, climbing up, over, and down the hills and ridges.
The detour comes about thirty minutes into the hike, and takes us along a path through a pine forest and then up a dirt trail to get back to the wall - about 15 minutes all up.
After the detour we’ll be back on the wall, and will continue along it, passing through towers and climbing up and down moderately steep sections. Some of the towers we visit are ruined, with only walls left. Others are in very good condition, and we can climb up on top for even better views of the surrounding area.
The wall in this area is built on ridges, and because there are not many trees on the ridgelines we will have broad views in every direction as we walk. We’ll have the option to extend the walk a bit by continuing past the last tower on the loop, heading on a little way towards Jinshanling before turning back.
Weather note: if rain or thunder is forecast we might not be able to hike. We have another Great Wall hike the next day, just in case.
What to bring on this hike
- Snacks to eat along the way
- Warm clothes in case it gets chilly
- Rain jacket or poncho just in case
- Good hiking boots
- (Click here to read our full What to Bring on a Hike list)
Reasons you might not enjoy this hike
- We used to have a warning about exposure to heights and slippery surfaces on this hike, but some repairs have been made to the Great Wall here that have taken care of that worry.